According to home remodeling comparison site Fixr.com, 85% of experts believe that homeowners now are more willing to invest in outdoor living spaces.
However, investing in our home’s outdoor living spaces is not just about installing new home additions like composite decking. It’s also about taking proper care of your investment so it’ll continue to serve you for a long time.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of composite deck cleaning so deck owners will know how to take care of their investment.
As a proud distributor of Trex® composite decking, All Exteriors recommends building your deck with this high performance and low maintenance product line.
The good things about composite decking are that it is made from a combination of wood and plastic, making it a very low-maintenance decking option. Fortunately, composite deck cleaning doesn’t require any specialized tools or supplies.
Here are the items you’ll need to clean your composite decking:
- Hose and bucket of warm water
- Bucket of soapy water (water mixed with a deck cleaning solution or a simple dish soap)
- Deck brush with soft to medium bristles
It is highly recommended to clean your composite deck during a sunny day. Cleaning on rainy or snowy days is possible, but it could cause moisture to build up and lead to molds.
How We Recommend Cleaning Composite Decking
Once you have all the needed cleaning supplies, you simply have to follow these six simple steps to clean your composite deck.
- Remove everything on the deck, including furniture, accessories, plants, and other decor. This makes cleaning easier and prevents anything from getting damaged.
- Use the broom to properly sweep away dust, dirt, and other debris like leaves. Make sure the deck is free of dirt and debris before proceeding.
- Spread warm water across the surface of the composite deck to prepare it for the soap. It’s essential to use warm water because it helps the detergent work better. Warm water also helps remove stains and grease faster.
- Mix soap and water together. Follow the product instructions if you’re using a deck cleaning solution. If you are using dish soap, the ratio should be similar to what you use when cleaning the dishes.
- Grab the deck brush and dunk it into the bucket of soapy water, then brush the surface of the composite deck. Apply just the right amount of pressure on the deck brush to avoid minor damage on the deck’s surface, especially if the bristles are a little harder.
- Once the deck’s surface is properly brushed, you can use a hose or some warm water to rinse away the soapy mixture. Once properly rinsed, leave the deck to dry in the sun.
Things To Avoid When Cleaning Your Deck
Cleaning your composite deck is relatively straightforward. However, there are a few things that you need to avoid when maintaining your deck.
- Avoid overusing pressure washers: A high-powered pressure washer is one of the best ways to clean decking, but it can damage the deck’s surface if used carelessly. If you’re not familiar with operating it, leave the pressure washing to professionals.
- Never use bleach: Harsh chemicals like bleach can eat away at the deck’s composite structure, causing surface damage and permanent discoloration.
- Don’t use a wire brush: It might be tempting to use a wire brush to scrub away any annoying stains, but all it will do is damage the surface and cause scratches on the surface. Stick to brushes with softer bristles.
- Don’t paint your deck: Some people often paint their deck after having it cleaned. A painted deck certainly looks impressive at first. After a while, the paint will start peeling and chipping away, forcing you to remove the aging paint manually. The added maintenance simply isn’t worth it. The reason to install composite decking is to have
Installing a composite deck can be an excellent investment. While composite decking is designed to be low-maintenance, it’s still important for homeowners to make sure the deck properly cleaned and cared for so it remains to look great. That’s why at All Exteriors, we trust Trex® composite decking, known for high performance and quality.
All Exteriors are your home improvement experts that offer professional deck installation, fencing, and roofing services. If you plan to invest in your outdoor living space, contact us today to discuss our deck installation services.